Sunday, January 27, 2013

Shelbyville Tri Series #1 Report

Today was the first of the winter series Shelbyville Triathlons.  I went to have fun but also wanted to see how far along my running and swimming had come since my run speed has been excellent and I'd been through about 6 swim lessons. 

Since it's still the dead of winter, today was a reverse tri where we swim last.  So got into some very warm clothes and grouped up for the 3k (1.86) run.  Took off probably a bit too fast because when my watch beeped for mile one, it read 7:18.  Much too fast and not sustainable for me.  But finished up in 13:22.8 or an average pace of 7:38.  Quite pleased with that as I used to normally run about 10-11 per mile. 

T1 was 1:35 then on to a very short, but cold, 6 mile bike.  Felt ok but the middle has a long, not too steep climb that today was accompanied by some headwind.  Finished that leg in 19:39 or 17.3 mph.  Not quite as fast as I wanted to go but I'll take it for a cold, windy, January day. 

T2 was 1:58.7 but that includes a decent run into the indoor pool area and stripping off all the warm clothes.  The swim was 16 up and back laps in a 25 yard pool for a total of 400 yards.  I knew from prior experience that this was going to be crowded but the sheer number of rude swimmers was insane.  At about the 75 yard mark, a person tried to pass a swimmer coming the other way and ran into my head on.  A full speed skull cracker.  That sort of disoriented me so the rest was just a matter of wanting to be done.  My total time was 8:20.7.  I don't have all my 2012 results handy but for this race last year, my swim time was 9:17.7.   I'll take that improvement, even with the head knock.  Grand total:  44:59.8 for 7th in my age group out of 13 and 39th out of 115 total participants.  I'd call that a good result.  I don't have my transition times from last year but even without transitions, I had a total of 46:06 in 2012 so that's at least 3 minutes off last year's time.  Happy as a clam!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment