Sunday, April 15, 2012

Shelbyville Tri Race Report

Today's tri was the 4th in a winter/spring local series.  I've done the first three and today's was a normal order tri with some sort of odd distances:  400 yard pool swim; 16 mile bike; 5k run.

The organizers have you self-report your expected swim time and then you're lined up within those ranges alphabetically.  However, it appeared that they used much too large of a range.  That is, I had friends around me who reported times 2-3 minutes faster than me but yet I was ahead of them in the lineup.  This caused way too much "washing machine" action: people who were much faster trying to pass in a 25 yard relatively narrow pool lane.  I thought I had a decent swim. 

My times for the 4 versions of the series, all 400 yards.  The first two were swimming last.

Race 1:  9:17.7
Race 2:  9:06.3
Race 3:  8:22.1
Race 4:  8:17.7

I had no idea they were better each time. I'll take that!  My T-1 time was right at three minutes. Bit slow but we had a decent run down to transition due to a late location change. 


The second leg was the sixteen mile bike.  The weather forecast was for warm and windy conditions and the forecasters weren't wrong!  My Garmin displays average pace and for the first half it had steadily risen to about 19.5 mph.  But as we made the right turn to head toward the second half of the loop, the wind just blasted us.  On the way back in, I steadily watched my bike average go down....down...down....  Ended up with a 53:16.1 or an 18.0 mph average.  I was quite pleased, given the conditions.  My only negative was dealing with a new saddle that was pointed down just a couple millimeters but it made it difficult to stay in the aero position as I felt like I was going to slip off the darn thing.


Will have to adjust it a bit but at least it felt comfortable.

T-2 was 1:08.5 and headed out to the rapidly warming run.  Comparing the three tris with the 5k run, I have:

Race 2:  28:09.8
Race 3:  29:40.5
Race 4:  29:05.1

Race 2 was a bit faster as it was run first so no fatigue. 

Grand total for today was: 1:34:48.3.  Pleased with the results, especially given the conditions. 

The next event is the KDF marathon on the 28th.  Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment