Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ironman Muncie 70.3 Preview

On Saturday, I tackle my second half Ironman:  1.2 mile swim; 56 mile bike; 13.1 mile run. 

I've been feeling really good during training.  As I lead up to my second Ironman in September, my swims are up to 2500 meters, rides at 80 miles, and runs up to 10 miles.  So there's no real fear of not finishing.  The big issue is going to be how fast I can go in some very hot conditions. I've seen forecast highs from the low 90s F (33 C) up to 100 F (37 C). 

So here it goes with some goals.

The swim is in a reservoir, so shouldn't see any current.  My last event had a 1500 meter swim, which I did in about 31 minutes.  Adjusting for the lack of current and very warm water, I'm hoping for a 45 minute swim.

Since it won't be wetsuit legal, T1 should be pretty speedy so I'm shooting for 3 minutes at most.

The bike is flat for the most part.  With predicted light winds, I think I can average 17 mph.  Maybe a bit higher but I can't afford to kill myself in the heat.  That would give me a 3:18 bike split.

T2 should be quick, as I'm mostly changing shoes, so shooting for 2 minutes.

The big test will be the "run."  My goal is 2.5 hours, which translates to 11:27/mile.  I say "run" because with the expected heat, I can guarantee lots of walk breaks to survive.  So is 11:27 doable? I'm going to say yes but we shall see.

Putting it all together, that gives me 6:38 so my initial goal of sub-7 hours seems entirely manageable. 

Full event report to follow on Saturday or Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment