Sunday, August 21, 2011

1 Week To Go!

Well, today ended the majority of the training.  Just some very short sessions scheduled for the next 6 days and then IRONMAN LOUISVILLE on Sunday.  I can't believe it's already here.

The biggest stresser for me the last week or so has been the weather forecast.  Here are some of the high temps I've seen forecast for event day:  79, 86, 88, 84, 83, 98(!!), and so on.  As of today, it looks like it will be in the mid-80s and probably some clouds.  I couldn't ask for much more in August in Louisville.

So here's the plan for the week...

Monday is a short ride and then dinner with my running partners.  I cannot thank my main training partners, John and Ken enough.  They've encouraged, run up to 16 miles, laughed, etc. with me.  Without them, I wouldn't be feeling confident about next Sunday.  They are also working the finish line so they will be there when I finish.

Tuesday is a short swim and a light jog as well as a massage to clear out my muscles for one last time.

Wednesday is a short ride and I get my race wheels installed.  I'm told I will see a real difference in my bike performance.

Thursday is a short swim and event check-in.  I get my packet and all that.

Friday is a short bike on the race wheels.  That afternoon/evening, I get to go to 2 neat events.  The first is a meet-up with some people who have been a big part of my training all summer.  IAmTri.  They held several group training days.  If you happen to be around the course on event day, look for people with "I AM" on their calves.  Those are the people in that group.

The second event on Friday is the IMKY banquet and pre-race meeting.

Saturday is the Underpants Run.  Yes, it's just what it sounds like.  It's a 1.5 mile charity run to raise money for ALS research.

Sunday is THE BIG DAY.

There are going to be several ways to keep up with me.  Ironman Live is the official way to keep with athletes.  My bib number is 2112.  I have tried to follow friends in other races without much luck so I've also rented a unit from here.  You should be able to click track in the upper left and find me by name.  My wife should also be updating this blog and my FB page on a regular basis throughout the day.

Finally, you can watch the race live online here but I assume it will focus mostly on the pros.

No comments:

Post a Comment