Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ironman Weekend (plus Thursday) Part II

Here's part I.

Saturday is a bit odd because it's the first Saturday in 20 weeks where I haven't had to set an alarm since I wasn't getting up early to bike.  Woke up about 8 after a good night's sleep.  Since you won't sleep much the night before a big event, I'm told the "night before the night before" is the key.  I totally agree. I slept like a log for a solid 9 hours.

My wife and I headed downtown to do the Underpants Run to benefit the Blazeman Foundation for ALS research.  My friend Kevin puts it on so I had to be there to support him.  This run is an IM tradition and is only 1.5 miles so great to stretch the legs.  Had a blast and saw so many friends.

Bike check-in started at noon so Jessica, me and two friends headed to the expo to check out the store and such.  I did give in, sort of, and bought a $5 clearance t-shirt but it wasn't a specific Louisville shirt.

Bike check-in was very easy.  Made sure to deflate my tires a bit to avoid a blown tire when I show up on race morning.  The volunteers made sure to show you how everything worked, how to get your gear, etc.  I then headed back home to pack up for my hotel stay.  I decided to stay downtown for 2 nights so that I could be close to everything and face a lot less stress.

Got settled at the Galt House and when my pal Kevin arrived we decided to take advantage of the IM buffet which got us salad, 3 kinds of pasta, 3-4 kinds of meat, 3-4 kinds of sauce, veggies and dessert for $13.  What a deal!

Went back up to the room and watched about a half of the Lions/Patriots game and then shutdown for the night about 10.  4 am wake up call would be coming...

Part III tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment