Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ironman Weekend (plus Thursday) Final Thoughts

Now that I've done it, I can simply say it was the coolest thing I've EVER done!  I can also safely say that unless you have an underlying heart or other medical condition, ANYONE can finish an IM if you put in the training.

I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without my training partners:  Ken, John and Kevin.  Ken ran ALL my long runs (up to 16 miles) with me.  John ran most of them and Kevin and I did a ton of riding.  The training weekends put on by iamtri were also crucial.  I got to experience race like conditions first hand, including aid stations, what to put in special needs bags, hill practice, etc.  My wife and daughter also understood when I was gone for hours and hours for about 20 Saturdays in a row.

Now the question everyone asks...what's next?  I honestly can't wait to do another Ironman!  But which one?  Wisconsin?  Good weather but hilly as hell.  Florida? Flat as a pancake but possibly humid.  I've been looking over course maps and information to figure it out.  I know for sure that I'm NOT going back to the old me.  I'm looking for a half-marathon to do before the end of 2011 and then figure out my 2012 plans.

I hope you found this blog interesting.  Visit again, I'll be updating every so often even without an event on my plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment