Monday, October 18, 2010

Time to Refresh

As you can see I haven't published anything for about 10 days.  My main issue was trying to keep it interesting without it being a "look at me, I love gear and can afford a sweet bike" self-absorbed fest.

After speaking to a few friends, they said, "Post your training schedule" and talk about a how a regular guy can try to complete an Ironman.

So here it goes...

Why an Ironman?  Why me?  How do I have time to train for it?

I wanted to try an Ironman just because.  I want to see if I can do it.  After volunteering at Ironman Louisville (sometimes called IMKY), I saw so many people like me doing it.  I'm not implying that they didn't work their asses off to finish IMKY but they weren't the pros you see on NBC when they show the Ironman from Hawaii.  They had full-time jobs, they had kids, they had bellies in some cases and so on.  If they could do it, why not me?

So how do I fit in it?  I'm incredibly lucky to have a job that allows for a tremendous amount of flexibility and a wife that understands that I would rather be on my bike than almost anywhere else.

The plan for this week.  Remember that I'm using a time-based training program for running as to get a good endurance base built.

Monday:  run 20 minutes.  Meant to be a stretch out your legs exercise, not a hard run.
Tuesday:  run 1 hour 10 minutes.  This is my long run for the week.
Wednesday: off.
Thursday:  run 25 minutes, bike 25 miles.
Friday:  bike 12 miles.
Saturday:  run 25 minutes with intervals.
Sunday:  bike 25 miles.

I'll update every couple days with thoughts from the workouts and other items.

No comments:

Post a Comment