Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm Really Ready for Event (Race if you must) Day!

This week was a sort of 1/2 normal, 1/2 recovery week.  I'm really ready for Ironman to be here.  I think my fitness is about as good as it's going to get and the fear of injury is really starting to get to me.

After my Wednesday bike and brick run, my left hamstring was really sore.  I fought through my swim on Thursday but it was still very sore.  So as I've heard over and over again, I let my body talk to me and took Friday off.  What a huge help!  Felt great by the time Friday night came around.

Saturday was a scheduled recovery day, so "just" (I know that sounds weird to most people) a 3 hour ride and a brick run.  So Kenny and I decided to get his first 50 mile ride in.  We rode for longer than 3 hours but took it nice and easy and got 50 done exactly.  I tried to implement some of the nutrition/hydration strategies suggested to me and they also seemed to help.  It also helped that the heat mostly stayed away until we were just about finished.  The brick run was nice and easy too.  Overall, a very good day. 

Today was the big day.  Was going to try for a 12-15 mile run.  So Ken and I took off in the humidity and did just about 14 miles.  Much water, sports drink and electrolytes were consumed and some walking was done but we did it!

Back at it this week, with the big goal of doing the full 112 miles on the IM bike course on Saturday.  I won't bore you with the details but a big week planned.  After that, the taper isn't far away, then race day finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment