Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a Difference a Few Days (and a massage) Make

So, after a few days to reflect on my rather brutal experience at the Half Ironman on Saturday, I've had a chance to think about a few things.  After a nice massage yesterday and a couple quarts of Pedialyte, I'm finally back to myself.

Number one, it didn't kill me.  Yeah, it was hard, yeah it was hot, yeah it was rough, but I finished it.  It can only help in my IMKY prep, right?  I also started to break down my split times.  Recall, it was 1:02; 3:44; and 3:28.  The swim course was long, I'm not entirely certain how much longer than the promised 1.2 miles but my best guess going in was a 45-50 minute swim.  So slice off 12 minutes.  The bike course was also long by 2 miles or so. So slice off, at 15.5 mph, about 8 minutes.  The run course was 1 mile long, so slice off 15 minutes there.   That leaves me at a grand total of 7:48.  Add to that, that the run course was brutal and IMKY is flat and now you have a total nearing 7:30.  Using the general rule of x2 + 40 minutes to get your IM time and I'm looking at 15:40 for IMKY.  Entirely doable.

Since the director didn't even give out medals, I had to buy my own:


A 70.3 sticker.

Finally, I got back to my regular training today, a 3000 meter swim and a 40 minute interval run.  See you later for a weekly update on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment