Sunday, April 10, 2011

And so it begins...

Yes, it's time.  140 days until IMKY.  Even though I've been doing the 3 disciplines on a regular basis, the official TriFuel 20 week program begins tomorrow. 

But before I get started on that, I wanted to share my thoughts on something my running buddies and I talked about today during our (hot as hell) 9 miler.  I'm not sure "race" is a good name for these triathlons, marathons, etc.  Yes, there are some people racing, but for most of us, maybe we should call them "events" or "celebrations?"  IMKY might have 3000 or so people signed up? How many are actually racing? 100-200?  The rest of us are just trying to better ourselves, get a medal, finish, etc. 

Just my 2 cents.

On to the training at hand.  The title of weeks 1 - 4 is "Building a Routine."  The idea is to get you used to working out each week and teaching your body the days you work on a specific discipline.  So the numbers won't seem big but it is only week 1.  I am, however, going to adjust the running portion until I complete the Mini Marathon on April 30.  So the Sunday runs the next 2 weeks will be long relative to what the plan says.  I will also use cycling as active recovery so may add some fun rides to my schedule, just to get out a bit more with my cycling buddies.   The running also seems light at first but during the first few weeks, you are often doing 1 workout per day and will be adding second workouts on some days in later weeks.

Monday: 60 minutes easy cycling.
Tuesday: 1400 meter swim.
Wednesday: 60 minutes easy cycling.
Thursday: 1500 meter swim; 30 minute easy run.
Friday: Off.
Saturday: 2 hours easy cycling.
Sunday: Long run (something around 10 miles).

Next update on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment