Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's Been a While...

Yes, it has been a while since my last update.  The reason is that I haven't really had much to say beyond just posting workout info.  Kind of boring if you ask me.  However, I thought I was due for an update after a couple interesting events and the official start of my IMKY training program in a few days.

The first event was completing the Papa John's 10 Miler in a personal best, 1:49:51.  Not fast, I know but that sort of distance usually takes me about 8 minutes longer.  The cool part was doing it with my pal Ken and doing it "naked."  That is, no iPods, no GPS watches, just goofing off and having fun, enjoying the day.  Since the course was pretty hilly in the mile 3-6 area, I was very happy with the result.  One other interesting fact was that there was water only on the entire course.  I had luckily packed some electrolyte tabs so that helped.  It was good that it was a nice cool day.

The other big event was a bike crash last night.


That's my knee.  I went down, thankfully at a relatively low speed so just a nice knot and scrape on my knee along with a few other scrapes and bruises.  My right hand is really sore but hopefully just a bruise or sprain.  Going to give it a couple days before I get too worried.  The bike, on the other hand, suffered.  The carbon base handle bar cracked up near the brake lever.  After the crash, I got up, inspected my bike, and except for the right brake lever being a bit askew, everything looked fine.  But on the next track crossing about 3 minutes later, I felt the bar crack.  Since it was right where the tape is, it was still sort of held together, so I didn't go down.  More good luck I guess. 

The bike is at my favorite local shop for repairs so will have it back in a few days.  Will have to get out my road bike for any rides this weekend but that's a relatively small bump in the road.

As far as training goes, still doing all three disciplines regularly but not going overboard until the real training program starts on Monday.  I will be posting updates on Sundays and Wednesdays as I get closer.

Expect a big post on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment