Thursday, January 27, 2011

Supplements and a Plug for a Company I Love

Since most of you who read this also are friends with me on Facebook, you know I've been reading like a madman about supplements, training and race nutrition, etc.

I settled on Hammer Nutrition for training and race day nutrition and they also sell loads of (legal, not steroid) supplements.  After being a bit overwhelmed with their list of products, I called them to get some advice.  They've always been helpful (more on that later) and they don't mind questions from rookies like me. 

After giving them the details:  my race plans, weight, general health, etc., we came up with a list.  Supplements alone would have been near $200 a month.  Well, that was way beyond what I was willing to spend.  However, I was already buying several of their products for training nutrition and recovery so decided to keep doing that and add one of their recommendations.  The total for everything, including nutrition, is about $50 a month, which isn't much more than I'm spending already for just nutrition.

Now on to the plug for Hammer.  While I was on the phone with them, they talked about their autoship program.  Basically, you get what you need every 3 months, all at a discount and it comes with a complementary cycling or tri kit.  Since I already had a cycling kit on the way (it was part of my Christmas gift from Jessica but had to be special ordered for a certain size), I asked about alternatives.  They refunded the price of that kit and put it toward my first autoship order.  Very good customer service!  I think I'll be wearing a Hammer Kit during the Ironman.

Now for the training update.  Did a short run Monday, 1400 meter swim and was scheduled for a short run on Wednesday.  Got up yesterday and wasn't quite feeling it.  Had been thinking about adding some yoga into my regimen, so decided to give that a try.  Found some basic stuff on Netflix and was able to instantly stream it through our PS3 to the TV and do it that way.  Not very good at at yet, but it really stretched out my core area.  I think I'll do it about once a week and I know it can only help as the massage therapist said I had a couple tight areas that the yoga addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment