Sunday, January 30, 2011

Some Observations and a Sunday Update

Before I get to the training part, I thought I'd share an interesting article: MAMILS.  Even though I knew some of the costs before getting into this Ironman endeavor, it really hit me this week when I realized one pair of the running shoes I rotate was almost in need of replacement and I ordered some nutrition and supplement supplies.  IRONMAN AIN'T CHEAP. 

I started to think about the costs most of us will face as we go through the training and race.

1.  Registration fees for races can be $50 up to $600.  Not to mention travel if you aren't lucky enough to live a few miles from an IM.
2.  Running shoes.  I've only been seriously running since September and I'm about to be on pair number 3.  I keep 2 pairs in rotation so they have time to dry between runs and such.  $75 to $100 usually for decent running shoes.
4.  A bike.  Not that you need a special bike to do an Ironman but most people get one as they nicer ones are lighter and more aerodynamic.  Here's the big price tag:  anywhere from $2000 to $10000.  Luckily, I went toward the lower end.
5.  Nutrition and supplements if you take them.  Gels, recovery drinks, vitamins, etc. all add up.
6.  Swimsuit, running shorts, non-cotton technical clothing, cold weather gear, and so on.
7.  Accessories also add up:  swim goggles, swim buoy, swim paddles...

I've probably forgotten several items but you can see it adds up very quickly.  That article will make a lot of sense once you think about the items on my list.

Finally, the training update.  I think it was my best week of training so far.  Swam 3400 meters, 2 hours 50 minutes of running and a stab at some yoga.  My back seems to be (almost) back to normal after being sore for the past few weeks. 

For this week:
If the weather is as nice next weekend as it was the past couple days, I will do something on my bike outdoors but nothing planned officially.  It also looks like I'm on a recovery week as far as running goes.  Recovery is always good and must be built in to any program.

Monday 40 minute run
Tuesday Swim session
Wednesday 50 minute interval run
Thursday Swim session
Friday off
Saturday 1 hour 10 minute run
Sunday Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment