Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Guess They Call It Training For a Reason?

So yesterday was my first chance to actually ride some of the IMKY course.  I had ridden bits and pieces of it but never going X number of miles on the course itself.  The plan was to ride the 60 mile option (the entire course is 112) and do a brick run after.

Well, I've never experienced anything quite like it.  I think I know what went wrong but by about mile 40 (I rode 46 total) and 3 hours in, I was toast.  Shoulders were killing me, light headed, etc.  I weighed myself when I got home and I had lost about 6 pounds total during the ride.

Several things came out of the experience.

1.  Time to pay a visit to the guy who fit my bike.  I wonder if my positioning is impacting my shoulders.  He said a follow up would probably be necessary and he was right.
2.  I really underestimated the amount of hydration necessary.  I wasn't sweating too much on my forearms so didn't think I was sweating that much overall.  Well the six pounds tell a different story.  So must focus on 30 ounces or so an hour at hotter temperatures.  I think the dehydration also impacted the shoulders, at least to some extent. 
3.  Electrolytes.  If you've been reading this blog, you know I've been using Hammer Endurolytes, in addition to water, for electrolyte needs.  This was my own fault.  I didn't take any pre-ride and underestimated the temperatures.  Will be taking a full dose every hour on the next ride, along with the additional water, to see how I feel.

As the title states, I guess they call it training for a reason?  I was quite discouraged yesterday but had a good run this morning in some very humid conditions.  Toward the end of our 55 minute run, I was starting to experience some shoulder pain.  That gives me some confidence that it was partially dehydration as I normally don't worry much about hydration, etc. during a 1 hour run. 

For the week:  8300 meters swimming; 80 minutes on the bike trainer; 60 miles ridden; 12.4 miles run.

Upcoming...

Monday:  off.
Tuesday:  2400 meter swim; 30 minute run.
Wednesday:  70 minute bike ride including a big time trial effort.
Thursday:  3000 meter swim; 45 minute interval run.
Friday:  3400 meter swim.
Saturday:  4 hour ride; 30 minute brick run.
Sunday:  50 minute run; active recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment