Sunday, May 29, 2011

It Was the Worst of Times, It Was the Best of Times...

Yeah, I know it's backwards but it fits perfectly with how the weekend went compared to a week ago.

Last Saturday, if you've been reading, was a rough one.  Dehydration, poor bike fit from what I could tell, etc.  On Friday, I had my bike fit adjusted by Bob at Bluegrass Bicycle in Crestwood.  After looking at just about everything, we lowered the seat by about 1 cm and and changed the stem from a 6 degree lift to 24.  It's like riding a brand new bicycle!

So with my "new" ride, I attempted another 60 miles on the IMKY course.  I did several things differently.

     1.  Really concentrated on hydration and electrolyte fueling.
     2.  Took it easy to start.  I didn't realize how fast I started out last week.  Going down the opening
          flat part of the course last week, I was probably going 20+, way too fast. Yesterday was 16-17
          and it really paid off.
     3.  Tried to stay in the aero position as much as possible.  (Not me but you get the idea.)

I'll have to admit that bombing down a hill in that position at 40 mph is about my limit.  Any faster and I think I'd piss myself.  Off the bike was a 3 mile transition run which also felt pretty good.  Probably my best training day so far.

Finally, some amazing news.  Yesterday, I went clothes/shoe shopping.  When this all started, I was in an XXL t-shirt and had moved into an XL lately.  So yesterday, I picked up 3 nice blank t-shirts.  Told my wife to pick out a L for a bit of incentive.  Got home and the large fit.  I can't believe how all this training is paying off!

The totals for the week:  6900 meters swimming; 82 miles biking; 14 miles run.

This week, which is a recovery week:

Monday:  Supposed to be off but it's Memorial Day in the U.S. and there is a family friendly ride downtown that my wife and daughter are going to ride with me.
Tuesday:  2400 meter swim.
Wednesday:  40 min ride.
Thursday:  1500 meter swim.
Friday:  3400 meter swim.
Saturday:  4 hour bike/30 min run brick.
Sunday:  50 minute run.

No comments:

Post a Comment