Sunday, June 12, 2011

Motoring Toward the Ironman

Week 9 ended today with my first Olympic distance tri, the Motor City Triathlon on Belle Isle in Detroit.  Well, I should say, about an Olympic.  The run portion was 6.6 miles so it was technically .4 miles longer than the standard distance.

Finished in 3:01:09.  If you take into account the extra .4 miles, I break 3 hours easily. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Swim:  1500 meter open water in 32:25.  My first experience in a wetsuit.  The water temp was 65 and similar to last year's Motor City, took me a while to get acclimated.  I've now learned the hard way to use Body Glide on my neck where the suit can rub.  The constricted feeling was also weird but I got over it.   Not super fast by any means but if I extrapolate that to IM distance, I'm fine with the number.

T1:  5:26. I'm not terribly concerned that this was slow as everything is a dress rehearsal for IMKY where a slightly slower transition makes a lot less difference.

Bike:  1:14:17 or 18.6 average.  I think I could have pushed here much harder and averaged 20+ but I didn't want to be empty when it came to run time.  Spent a lot of time in the aero bars as I get more and more used to using them.

T2:  1:20.  See T1 :)

Run:  1:07:43 or 10:16/mile.  I've never been a fast runner and used my IM strategy of running a mile, walking a minute throughout.  A good run.

Overall impressions:  a few adjustments to make but feeling really good.

Back to the IM training plan on Tuesday.  This week starts the 3rd phase, "Learning to Endure."  The idea here is to use all the tools you've learned so far and go longer and longer.

Monday:  off.
Tuesday:  2600 meter swim; 35 minute run; deep tissue massage.
Wednesday:  80 minute ride.
Thursday:  2000 meter swim; 35 minute interval run.
Friday:  2000 meter swim.
Saturday:  4.5 hour ride; 30 minute run off the bike.
Sunday:  1 hour 15 minute run.

No comments:

Post a Comment